Mama Mia Mac’ n’ Cheese
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins | Total: 35 mins | Servings: 4 servings
- 3 + 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Whole milk (warm but not hot), divided
- 4 oz Cheddar or Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 oz Cara Mia sun-dried tomatoes, amount to your taste
- 8 oz Dried pasta (Elbow macaroni or other pasta, cooked until al dente and drained)
- 1 tbsp STAR extra virgin olive oil
- Add pasta to boiling water with a healthy pinch of salt and cook according to their directions.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat.
- Then stir in the flour to form a roux. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently until most of the water has cooked out (it will bubble less), which also allows the raw flour taste to cook off.
- Slowly add 2½ cups of the warm milk while whisking or stirring constantly so that the liquid is incorporated into the roux without forming lumps. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the has thickened. This is a Bechamel sauce.
- Return the sauce to the pan. To make a Mornay (or cheese) sauce, add the cheeses and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and Dijon mustard, and adjust the consistency with the remaining milk, if necessary.
- Drain the pasta and pour the pasta into the cheese sauce, stir gently and incorporate thoroughly. Gently stir in chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Drizzle a swirl of STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the top and serve. Bon gusto!