Mama Mia Lasagna
This is hands down the best lasagna recipe–perfect for any occasion! It’s filled with layers of goodness, it’ll become a family favorite!
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot to your taste)
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz can tomatoes, whole, peeled
- 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 jar Cara Mia piquillo peppers
- 1 jar Cara Mia sun dried tomatoes
- 1 jar Cara Mia marinated artichoke hearts
- ¼ jar Cara Mia artichoke bruschetta
- ¼ jar Cara Mia tomato bruschetta
- 1½ lbs whole milk Mozzarella, grated
- 16 oz whole milk Ricotta
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan, coarsely grated (1/2 cup for topping)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 lb dried lasagna noodles
- Olive oil
- Sea salt (or Kosher salt)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings, break apart and add to the warmed oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, don’t let it get crispy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add onion then after a few minutes add the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and just starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook, approximately 2 minutes to a deepened color.
- Crush the whole tomatoes in your hands and add them to the pot, along with the crushed tomatoes, and continue stirring to scrape the bottom of the pot. Add 2 cups of water, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato sauce has thickened, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375F and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all but 1-cup of the Mozzarella, 1-cup of Ricotta, 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, ¼ cup of cream, a pinch of salt and pepper and set to the side.
- Cook lasagna noodles in the boiling water until just softened – a little less than al dente – about 5 minutes. Separate any noodles that are trying to stick together, slicking them with a bit of olive oil to prevent them from sticking further and drain.
- Spoon a ladle of sauce on the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish and top with a layer of noodles, trying not to overlap.
- Top with about 1-cup of sauce then a quarter of the cheese mixture then half the artichoke bruschetta then dot the top with half the artichoke hearts.
- Add a layer of noodles, 1-cup of sauce then a quarter of the cheese mixture the half the tomato bruschetta and half the sundried tomatoes.
- Repeat with the artichoke bruschetta and artichoke hearts then repeat with the tomato bruschetta and sundried tomatoes.
- Repeat until you run out of room or noodles, whichever one comes first. Top with 1-cup Mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake until pasta is cooked through, and the sauce is bubbling around the edges, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove foil and increase temperature to 450F. Continue baking until lasagna is golden brown on top with about another 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.